Lets Talk Turkey Safety
Thanksgiving can be a stressful day for those who are cooking the meal, but do not fret SERVPRO of Cambridge/Belmont has the tips to making your thanksgiving meal a walk through the park!
- Make sure to pick your turkey carefully!
- Avoid fresh, stuffed turkeys
- Make sure to buy your turkey at least 1-2 days before you cook it
- Keep it in the fridge and if you bought it earlier keep it in the freezer
- Defrost properly.
- Thaw in the refrigerator (every 4-5 lbs. needs one day to thaw).
- Submerge the turkey (wrapped in leak-proof packaging) in cold water (every 1 lb. needs 30 minutes to thaw) that should be changed every half hour.
- Avoid slow cooking or partially cooking the turkey
- At 165 degrees F at least
- Make sure to cook the stuffing separately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling food.
- Keep all surfaces and utensils clean.
- Never handle cooked and raw food together, in order to avoid cross-contamination.
- Keep raw meat away from vegetables or other uncooked food.