Practicing Fire Safety This Holiday Season | SERVPRO® of Cambridge/Belmont
The holiday season always arrives rapidly, and as we get our homes and ourselves ready to celebrate, it is still important to keep the importance of fire safety in focus. Winter is the peak of fires in the home according to the Red Cross, partially because of the risky activities that occur primarily in the wintertime.
Cooking is always a concern, but winter also brings about the concerns of heating and decoration that are not present at other times of the year. Do not give fires the opportunity to spark by focusing on fire safety as you celebrate the best of winter.
Wintertime Tips for Fire Prevention
Keep safe when cooking. The top cause of house fires is cooking at any time of year, but more people tend to prepare large meals and increase the frequency of their baking when it is cold outside. It is wise to practice fire safety each time you cook, keeping a fire extinguisher nearby and keeping flammable items at least three feet from the stove. Make sure children and pets are not allowed near open flames in the kitchen as well.
Heat the house with proper precautions. Many people make use of space heaters and fireplaces to supplement their home’s heating system, but it is important that you always use these tools with caution. Space heaters should always cut off if they get too hot or tip over, and should never be used on carpet or near flammable items. If you use a fireplace, be sure to get your chimney inspected every year and never allow a fire to burn unattended.
Decorate with care. The decorations commonly associated with Christmas, such as trees and lights, present an electrical hazard if they are not installed correctly. Christmas tree fires due to electricity are extremely common, often as a result of the lights being plugged in improperly. Make sure to not overload outlets or power cables, and never use decorations with frayed wiring.
If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.